Old building photo #2.jpg
MTCP old sign.jpg
church arial photo.jpg


            Since 1858 the faithful people of Mt. Chestnut Presbyterian Church have been striving to keep God’s commandment of spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to our community, and to the world through our various programs, groups and outreach ministries. Because of the faith, strength and determination of our predecessors we are blessed with ample spiritual resources.

            In 1850 the land on which the original church building stands was surveyed and hence the beginning of the history of the Mt. Chestnut Church. The congregation was organized in 1857 by Rev. William Brandon as a part of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The congregation made and laid the bricks for a 40 x 45 foot building on Route 422 and then paid a carpenter $490.29 to finish the work.

            The membership grew rapidly and by 1862 there were about 100 members. Over the next 130 years the congregation underwent a lot of changes including 18 ministers called to Mt. Chestnut. The membership saw its normal periods of growth and periods of decline as is common in any church history.

            The work of the Holy Spirit has always been evident in the works of this church family. The membership had increased dramatically and so did attendance of worship, Sunday School and small groups. In the early 1980’s we had physically outgrown our building and surrounding property so plans were drawn up, property was acquired and the work began on a new modern church building. On Christmas Eve 1987, the Mt. Chestnut congregation worshiped and celebrated the nativity of our Lord in the present new church building, 727 West Old Route 422, Butler, PA 16001.

            Today the church enjoys an outstanding music program, and we have established a Christian Preschool and Food Cupboard, along with other new groups and programs. Our building is used in the community by AA & Al-Anon, Girl Scout troops, a Senior Citizens Center, a Township Polling Place, and many others.

            The congregation serves in a community that is a rural, agricultural area which is experiencing subtle growth. The area is community oriented and “small town” friendly. Although we have experienced steady growth in the congregation we have still maintained our small church friendliness. The Mt. Chestnut congregation strives to welcome and embrace with a Christ-like love all who enter here. The Mt. Chestnut congregation continues to be Spirit directed, forward looking, and community and mission minded, helping people to live in God’s love, for which we give all praise and glory to God!